Health Wellness Fitness for a Healthy Heart Lifestyle
Health Wellness Fitness, Healthy Heart Conversations
Lots of people struggle to get enough physical activity. If someone you care about is having a hard time getting active, you can help. Here are some tips to get you started on your health wellness fitness.
Suggest heart healthy activities you can do together
- Start small. Try taking a walk after dinner twice a week, or do crunches (sit-ups) while you watch TV.
- Mix it up. Learn new stretches and warm-up exercises.
- Join a fitness class. Choose an activity that’s new for both of you.
Make activities a part of your regular wellness routine
- Meet up at the local gym or recreation center on your way home from work.
- Wake up a bit earlier so you can go for a brisk walk together before breakfast.
- Pick a certain time for physical activity, like right after your favorite TV show.
- Ride your bikes or walk to the store or coffee shop.
Be understanding of their activity challenges
What are your loved one’s reasons for not being more active? Maybe he or she feels overwhelmed or embarrassed. Ask what you can do to be supportive.
Recognize small efforts in their healthy activity
- Be patient. Change takes time.
- Remember, some physical activity is better than none!
- Offer encouragement and praise. (“Great job doing your crunches today!”)
- Point out positive choices. (“I’m glad we’re walking to the park instead of driving.”)
Choose healthy gifts
For birthdays or special rewards, choose gifts that encourage your loved one to be more active. Some gift ideas related to health wellness fitness:
- New sneakers or workout clothes
- A basketball or balance ball
- Hand weights
- A yoga mat
- A pedometer (a tool that counts the number of steps you take)
- A gift certificate to a gym or exercise class
For more helpful tips, you can print this activity guide [PDF - 1.1 MB]